Whole Grain Bagel Tutorial June 04, 2014 12:40
Whole Grain Bagel Recipe
- 2 T active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups of warm water
- 7 cups fresh milled hard wheat flour ( plus extra for kneading)
- Put 3 cup of the warm water, sugar and yeast in the bowl of a Bosch Universal Mixer. Let sit for five minutes.
- Add the flour and salt to the bowl and mix on speed 3 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from mixer and form into a bowl. Place in a large gallon sized bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow tor raise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch down and allow to rest about 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Take the dough and press gently against the countertop in a ball.
Coat a finger in flour, and gently press your finger into the center of each dough ball to form a ring. Stretch the ring to about ⅓ the diameter of the bagel and place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Repeat the same step with the remaining dough.
After shaping the dough rounds and placing them on the cookie sheet, cover with a damp kitchen towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425ºF .
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Reduce the heat. Use a slotted spoon or skimmer to lower the bagels into the water. Boil as many as you are comfortable with boiling. Once the bagels are in, it shouldn't take too long for them to float to the top (a couple seconds). Let them sit there for 1 minute, and them flip them over to boil for another minute. Extend the boiling times to 2 minutes each, if you’d prefer a chewier bagel (results will give you a more New York Style bagel with this option).
. If you want to top your bagels with stuff, do so as you take them out of the water, you may use the “optional toppings” (listed above).
Once all the bagels have boiled (and have been topped with your choice of toppings), transfer them to a lightly oiled baking sheet
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack (or if you’re impatient like I am, slice one of these babies open, and spread some softened butter on it
We look forward to seeing you at our Cooking class!